About Me

Spokane, WA, United States
I am currently a middle school/high school teacher at Northwest Christian Schools, inc. (www.nwcs.org) in Spokane, WA. I live with my two cats, Chopsticks and Essie. I have an astoundingly great family and the most beautiful niece in the world. I love the life God has given me.

Monday, January 5, 2009

Dissecting Auroville (Part 4 of 4)

I am leaving tomorrow ... Yay!!!

Anyway, here is the last part of the "Dissecting Auroville" series, and perhaps will be the end of what may be considered by some to be the boring philosophizing that has taken place on my Blog in lieu of me actually being in India!

Auroville Charter Part 3-
Auroville will be the sight of material and spiritual researches for a living embodiment of an actual Human Unity.
~
Auroville and Human Unity-
"There is one most powerful force, that force with which the Divine, having manifested the universe draws it back into Himself, into His Oneness – and that is the power of love. Love is that power in which the Divine knows His Oneness with every fragment, and every grain and atom of the cosmos, and every being and every person and every aspiration, and draws it all into Himself in that fusing delight of unity. It is that Love which awakes from deep in our hearts the urge to find truth, beauty, love, immortality, knowledge. It is that Love which, turning itself to an object begins the process of fusion with that which it loves. And if we can turn the love deep in our hearts towards the One, surge out and give ourselves utterly in that love to the One, that is the fastest way by which our consciousness can come in touch with it and fuse itself and find its oneness with it. And in that oneness with the Divine in utter self-giving and love we discover our oneness with all the cosmos, which is an expression of the Divine."
~
So, the basic idea here - from what I can tell - is that we are to seek after human unity by pouring our love out on the Divine. The article I got this from (see: http://www.auroville.org/vision/organizastion.htm) begins by talking about the failures of current forms of government to acheive human unity. The only way for us to acheive that unity is not through external forces, but to have a common, internal aim, and this quote is it. What do you think?

3 comments:

niferjen said...

I am having trouble understanding what the heck "the divine" is. It sure seems like a lot of rot.

It's confusing, becasue when they say things like "Love does this or that", I always think of Jesus, because that's who I know Love is.

I'll be thinking about this and the part 1 of 4 some more.

Thanks so much for posting this stuff! It makes an otherwise boring day quite interesting.

J

Matt said...

Count me in on being confused about "the Divine." As far as I understand it, the Divine is what you make of it/him/her, it can be different for every person. And yet, from the way Aurovillian authors write, I get the sense that the Divine is a single person/thing, there are just different paths to get to it/him/her, and nobody can know what/who it/him/her is unless they have experienced it/him/her.

As far as I am concerned, great, I have experienced Jesus and I am learning more every day about who He is. I don't think Aurovillians would frown on either you or I for saying that when we read about loving the Divine, we think about Jesus. I know that they would be more upset about us trying to convince others that Jesus is the only way to the Father (or the Divine).

This question of who/what the Divine is and what Truth is at the forefront on my mind as I head off to Auroville TODAY!

I'm glad to hear your comments, and I'm even more glad that these posts made your day less boring. Wait till I'm actually there; my posts will make your day unbearably exciting ( :

Unknown said...

I love you