Auroville Charter Part 3-
Auroville wants to be the bridge between the past and the future. Taking advantage of all discoveries from without and from within, Auroville will boldly spring towards future realisations.
The Mother on Auroville-
"Humanity is not the last rung of the terrestrial creation. Evolution continues and man will be surpassed. It is for each individual to know whether he wants to participate in the advent of this new species. For those who are satisfied with the world as it is, Auroville obviously has no reason to exist."
~
This is the point in the charter that probably makes the least sense to me, so tell me what you think. The idea of human evolution is fascinating, but I'm not sure what the implications are. As a Christian, I am not sure how idea combats with/compliments God. In a sense, when we die and are in his presense, we will evolve to a much higher being, but I'm not sure if that's the sense of evolution the Mother is talking about here. Furthermore, I am not even sure that when the charter says "future realisations," it's talking about evolution. I'm only guessing. Anyway, tell me your thoughts.
5 comments:
I get to see you on Sunday. :)
Yay for me!!! We're going to have Red Robin together! I have been thinking about it for the last couple of days. I'm super excited!
What I think she's saying is that humanity continues to change for the better... I hope! Anything beyond that doesn't make much sense.
But that stuff about "man will be surpassed" and "advent of a new species" in terms of evolution seems to be saying that we'll eventually evolve into something better and different here on earth.
The only thing about macro-evolution that fascinates me, is that many people have been persuaded to believe it.
No one disputes that humans change and adapt to their surroundings, but the thought that we came from apes is just too ridiculous. In response to the question about how it fits in with the Bible... simply said... it doesn't.
Not only does Genesis specifically mention that creation took exactly six regular days, but the idea that God would use millions of years of death and suffering and cancer(as recorded in the fossil record) to create something that he called "good" would make God out to be a monster. And to top it off, the presence of death before the fall of Adam would nulify the need for the cross, because it is death that we need to be saved from.
When you mention how we will evolve in a sense when we die and go to heaven... I think it is much more different than what "human evolution" means. We are going to be completely changed... I think we're going to be spirits? I'm unsure about that stuff - I should read 1 Cor. 15 again...
So, genearlly, my opinion is that the statement you quoted is pretty much unreconcilable with Christianity, unles it means that we are only hoping to improve ourselves intellectually, which compliments the hope of the gospel.
J
Obviously, the idea of working toward something better is exactly what we should be doing, whether we are good citizens of Auroville or Christians, that is certainly a common aim. The one big difference I see, however, is that Aurovillians are seeking after a glorified man (I am saying this, of course, with far too little information as I have yet to actually visit the place and meet the people). Either they are seeking to glorify man or to glorify a undefined Devine.
My goal as a Christian is to glorify Jesus ... period. The only thing that is important is that I figure out ways to do that. One way is to evolve into a better person through reading His Word, praying, fellowshiping with others, and OBEYING Him. I'll leave evolving into a different species to the Aurovillians ( :
I will be a different species - in a sense - when I am alive on the New Earth, but God will give me that body; I will not have a new body because of anything I have done.
amen!
Post a Comment