About Me

Spokane, WA, United States
I am currently a middle school/high school teacher at Northwest Christian Schools, inc. (www.nwcs.org) in Spokane, WA. I live with my two cats, Chopsticks and Essie. I have an astoundingly great family and the most beautiful niece in the world. I love the life God has given me.

Monday, January 19, 2009

Helping at School

Today I got to help out more at New Creation. We had a guest this morning. After concentration and prayers (where the kids get to meditate and focus for the day), we had a guest from Turkey; I forget what his name is. It was apparent this was not his first visit to New Creation. He led the kids through some body awareness exercises. I was really excited to see what he would do, but in the end, it seemed like pretty standard stuff, just kind of a fun game for the kids. I wish he would have got the kids up and moving around more.

Otherwise, today at school was wonderful! First, I worked with Silvaraj's 2nd standard English class. First, they read silently. After that, we played an English word Bingo game. The Bingo game itself was not that great, but as I'm learning with 2nd graders, it doesn't really matter; as long as it's a game, they love it. As you will see from my pictures that I just uploaded, the kids in that class are absolutely beautiful creations of God. In fact, all of the kids in the school are beautiful people. They are so wonderful to be around and work with.

After Silveraj's, I went to Shankar's 8th standard English and Social Studies classes (with tea break inbetween). Last time, he left and I took over. This time I was more of an onlooker. I think these are my favorite students (I am quite partial to middle schoolers). They were working on simple present negative tense. Shankar is hilarious because as he was getting examples from the kids, he could tell a story about something that each one of them said or did. He is a hilarious story-teller. You can get somewhat of a sense of it in the video I took of his class. In social studies, they were studying the political map of India. They started by looking at which of the Indian states have international boarders. We found out that there are 17 in all. Their homework is to figure out which states have no international boarders, but boarder one of the three oceans touched by India. The other question is to figure out which states neither boarder a foreign country, nor an ocean. If what Shankar said to me today is correct, I will probably be taking over the English class tomorrow. If what little I know about him holds to be true, I may also be taking over for the social studies class ( :

Finally, I worked in Mala's 4th standard English class ... or more like, I watched Rajan work with them. He was explaining all sorts of things about the organic garden to them. Later, Mala and I began to plan out the lessons for the week. It is strange how many of the teachers here instantly view me as an expert in education. If not an expert, then someone whose oppinion they value, nonetheless. I believe they have had great experiences with University folk coming there way and giving them some new insights. I hope I live up to the expectation.

I don't have much more to say for now. Sabrina, the kindergarten teacher, is here now. She is also from Seattle and Jean, her and I have been meeting for the past few months before we headed over here. Since she is teaching and taking classes right now, she will only be able to be here for 3 weeks. I had a dream last night that I was attending classes again at Northwest Christian High School. I love it here and at the same time I am so excited to go home and start up some new things in life. It is funny how that excitement manifests itself. I struggle right now with really being here and not being selfish with my time while I am. Yes, I need to have some alone time, but I shouldn't be escaping as often as I have been. I can afford to waste a bunch of time in Spokane, but here ... I'm only here for 2 months. It's so strange to be so utterly excited to be at a place and at the same time so badly want to leave it.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention something rediculously exciting! I am definitely going to Hydrabad (or Hyderabad - it's spelled both ways) with Levi Mulkey (a friend from high school) from the 21st to the 24th of February. I am going to visit a sister church there to the church I was attending while in Seattle - Alathia. Pastor Sudhakar wants me to speak in his church for 20 minutes. There will be a translator. He is going to book Levi and I into a hotel and show us all of the branches of the church there in Hydrabad. I am rediculously excited. Levi and I will be riding first class - each ticket costs a total of like $40. Sleeper class is like $5 a piece. Wow!!!

Anyway, enjoy the new pictures and videos:

New Creation Bilingual School Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/magicalmatt/NewCreationBilingualSchool#

Prayer and Sharing Video at NCBS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMftZEfQ2zc&feature=channel_page

Body Awareness Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK6N5BKEKsE&feature=channel_page

Shankar's Class: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDaFX91FfmE.com/user/HeavenlyCrockpot

3 comments:

Matt Mulder said...

Matt,
They are indeed wise to value your opinions/thoughts/education,etc. I'm pretty sure most of the people back here recognize you as one smart cookie too. ;)

It really is wonderful how you can keep us all updated with this blog.

I remember Levi Mulkey. Man it's been a long time.

-Matt Mulder

Matt Mulder said...

Matt,
They are indeed wise to value your opinions/thoughts/education,etc. I'm pretty sure most of the people back here recognize you as one smart cookie too. ;)

It really is wonderful how you can keep us all updated with this blog.

I remember Levi Mulkey. Man it's been a long time.

-Matt Mulder

Matt said...

X!

I get my smarts from the name ( : I will put pictures up when Levi and I go on our trip, and then you can see just how much he has changed ... not much.