About Me

Spokane, WA, United States
I am currently a middle school/high school teacher at Northwest Christian Schools, inc. (www.nwcs.org) in Spokane, WA. I live with my two cats, Chopsticks and Essie. I have an astoundingly great family and the most beautiful niece in the world. I love the life God has given me.

Thursday, January 8, 2009

I've Arrived!

It's like a dream! I have never experienced something like this before. I will never be able to fully describe it, so I'll just include lots of pictures and videos. I really am totally blown away. First of all, it's absolutely beautiful here. The weather is perfect and it is very humid, which I think I really like. The people are more friendly than any place I have ever been. The kids are adorable ( : I even love my room and am excited to meet my roommate, Ron, next week. It is thirteen and a half hours ahead here, so while I am typing this, it is 9:39 am, January 9th here in Auroville and it's 8:09 pm, January 8th back home. I feel great (jet lag hasn't hit me yet, I'm just riding on an incredible adventure high).



So, over the last couple of days I flew from Seattle to Incheon International Airport in Seoul, Korea (almost 12 hours), from Incheon to Mumbai, India (about 9 hours), waited there for a while which was actually kind of scary. They didn't like the fact that I only had a reservation itinerary for Jet Airways to take me from Mumbai to Chennai and not an actual ticket. After four hours, I flew from Mumbai to Chennai (about 1 1/2 hours). Finally, I rode a taxi from Chennai to Auroville which took 2-3 hours. It was an amazing ride. There were cows all over, in the middle of the road, totally comfortable. Goats too! I can't even begin to describe how unlike anything I have ever experienced India is. Oh, and I did use a traditional Indian toilet in the airport. Two spots to put my feet, squat down, poo, and wipe myself with my left hand and some water. Pleasent, no? I wanted to take a picture of the "toilet," but there were other people waiting.



I have never heard most of the birds that I hear all day. All of the buildings are so open and people keep it relatively dark inside them. I eat with my hand at meals (last night I had rice mixed with some kind of green sauce and fish for lunch). I take my sandals off before entering any buildings. I am already all of the kids' best friend (they, above everyone else, are etremely inviting and friendly). This is the best culture shock I have ever experienced ( :



That's all I'm going to put for now. I will describe it more later, but I don't want to sit here at New Creation School and spend all of my time online. I can do that from home ( : Please click on the following links to see my pictures and my videos thus far. I have already taken more today, so there are plenty to come.



First Day Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/magicalmatt/FirstDayInIndia#

Video of Drive from Chennai to Auroville: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPLgq4LvTKs&feature=channel_page

Video of My Room: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymlPSqfNl8w&feature=channel_page

Video of Roy's Place: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6DbQAp-8rs&feature=channel_page

Video of the "Programme" I saw last night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUzEA6Bcpis&feature=channel_page

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

SO AWESOME!
The videos are awesome! I watched the snow jump one also. That was funny. How high was the snow? How was the long flight to India and the drive. I would of been so BORED because I am always bored. What else have you been doing in India?

Skittles =)

MOM said...

I loved all the pictures Please keep more coming.... Miss you and love you

Matt said...

Of course I'll keep 'em coming. Okay Skittles:

1) The snow was about 3 1/2 feet high when I left.

2) The flight was 22 hours and 7 hours layover. I am 13 1/2 hours ahead of Washington over here, so when it's 6:00 pm there, it's 7:30 am here.

3) The drive from Chennai to Auroville was about 2 1/2 hours. Not too bad. My taxi driver's name was Maya, and he was really nice.

What else have I been doing, I just went to the Sadhana Forest last night and it was one of the most unbelievable things I have ever seen. I will describe it in my next post.

Anonymous said...

thanks mr.halpin i was just in a bad mood but you made me laugh. doesnt the time difference mess you up sometimes? i would of been so bored 29 hours lol

skittles