Here is the second part of my study into the Auroville Charter. I'll try to make this one a little less long-winded.
Auroville Charter Part 2-
Auroville will be the place of an unending education, of constant progress, and a youth that never ages.
The Mother's Three Principles of Education-
1) Nothing can be taught. The teacher is not an instructor or task-master; he is a helper and a guide.
2) The mind has to be consulted in its own growth. The idea of hammering the child into the shape desired by the parent or teacher is a barbarous and ignorant superstition.
3) Work from the near to the far. If anything has to be brought in from the outside, it must be offered, not forced on the mind.
What do y'all think about that?
5 comments:
Interesting thoughts...
Actually, there is no true point to Mamma Mia. It's a girl, who randomly bursts into Abba songs [like HSM, only an already existing song] and dance, who's trying to find her father. My mom liked it. It is kind of a girly flick, but my favorite parts are the parts with groups that they choreographed. Yeah. So, you don't HAVE to watch it. I like it though. and so does my little brother, but he's grown up with 3 older sisters, so that might not be a good source.
Interesting.. there are some good points in there....
Actually, there really is no point to seeing Mamma Mia. It's got some cool choreography and songs. But it's about a girl who's trying to find her real father so he can give her away at her wedding. It's kind of like HSM, only... WAYYY better
It doesn't sound like there is NO point to watching it. It just sounds like it's nothing revolutionary. I will probably watch it if my Mother and Sister rent/buy it.
Well, at least I agree with #3! LOL
#2 is awkward... I wouldn't call traditional education quite "barbarous", but I see what they're trying to say. Maybe a little more grace and thoughtfulness should be used when teaching.
#1 is wrong. Things can be taught. I have been taught, and so has everyone else. Call it what you may: Helper, Guide, Instructor... they all seem the same to me. I think "Mother" is aruging semantics.
I would love to explore more of what #1 means, but in general, I am worried that you are right when you say that Mother is arguing semantics. What I worry about is the practicality of #1 especially. What I'm really excited to see, however, is how Aurovillians approach #1 and #2. I think things so much more unrealistic and just plain silly to me because I have only experienced a tightly regimented, standardized, controlled school environment. Something tells me what I see over there may be entirely different, quite uncomfortable, and totally eye-opening. I will let you know what I see ( :
Post a Comment