About Me

Spokane, WA, United States
I am currently a middle school/high school teacher at Northwest Christian Schools, inc. (www.nwcs.org) in Spokane, WA. I live with my two cats, Chopsticks and Essie. I have an astoundingly great family and the most beautiful niece in the world. I love the life God has given me.

Saturday, February 14, 2009

A Thursday Evening Stroll

I decided to walk to the beach on Thursday night. I didn't make it. I wasn't really expecting to. I left at about 5:00 pm or so with the intention of taking nice pictures of the beach and of everything between Roy's Boarding and the beach. I have missed taking lots and lots of pictures; I sort of feel like I have hit an Auroville-Photography-Midlife-Crisis. I felt this was an appropriate way to get over it. So I took pictures for about an hour. I am starting to get used to many of the features on my camera, so as you look at the pictures, I hope you'll see nicer colors and, cool angles, more inventive macros and more intentional exposures. Actually, I just hope that you'll say, "Gee, those sure were pretty pictures!" ( :



I also FINALLY completed a slideshow of the Organic Garden Project at New Creation Bilingual School. I have been taking pictures of the garden and imagining a slideshow ever since I got here. They love it here! I have to do so little for them to be impressed. I just put some pictures together with pretty music, make it move and fade nicely, and everyone gets really excited. There's a real power to slideshows. I would like to eventually get a much better program than Windows Movie Maker and get really professional with this. For now, I'm enjoying these little ameture projects. This one esentially tracks the progress of the garden. I think they're going to use it to advertise for the school and possibly get some more support. Sweet!



Today was "Lover's Day" here in India. The kids and I celebrated by going to a big fair they had at the Youth Center (or Centre?) in Auroville. It was a great fair! They managed to do so much with so little. They had a guy on huge stilts, a magic performer (with those all-elusive magic rings), food, live performances, crafts, fooseball. The kids had a blast. I got to be the parent with the tokens who the kids come to, "Matt, can I have three tokens for this," "Matt, what about this! It's only two tokens!" All in all, I spent 150 rupees for 30 tokens. 150 rupees is roughly $3.25. ( : Stuff is just so cheap here.



I am really falling in love with these kids more and more. I have found more of a balance in my relationships with them and I think it is helping me to enjoy them more. I am beginning to understand just how difficult it will be to leave, even though I miss home so badly! I hope that I will be able to come back here within a couple of years. It has made me think seriously about visiting the orphanage in Mexico that I lived at a few summers ago. I would love to see those kids again - all growed up!



In other news, Levi and my trip has almost completely come together. After a ticket scare (one of the tickets was booked for the wrong month), difficulty finding hotels, and much effort poured into navigating through the Indian Railways website to put together a schedule, I think we're finally almost ready. I have not heard back from Pastor Sudhakar, however, so I am not sure where we will be staying in Hyderabad. That's the last loose end other than the few last minute things I have to buy before leaving. I am getting really excited for two reasons: One, I think it will be a blast to see these other parts of India. We will end up travelling almost 3,000 km! Crazy! Two, I am just happy to see ANYONE that I know from the US - especially Levi. He and I go way back and lived together for two years in two different places. It will be great to see him.



Anyway, here are the links to the new pictures and the video. Enjoy!



Thursday Night Walk Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/magicalmatt/ThursdayEveningWalk#



Organic Garden Project Slideshow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAREpAAmg24

No comments: